If you have lived in the UK legally for a certain duration of time, usually between two and five years you may be able to apply for Settlement in the UK. Settlement in the UK is also known as Indefinite Leave to Remain or ILR.
Whether you will be eligible for UK settlement is dependent upon the type of visa that you currently have in the UK. You must already have settled status in the UK for a Settlement application. With Student Visas excluded, settled status means that the applicant has lived in the UK on another visa for at least four years.
Below are some examples of when settled status can be granted:
- Marriage / Unmarried (De Facto) (after 2 years)
- Ancestry (after 5 years)
- Highly Skilled Migrant Programme (after 5 years)
- Work Permit (after 5 years)
- EU Nationals and their dependants (after 5 years)
- Continues residence (after 10 years)
- Broken Residence (after 14 years)