The Spouse and Civil Partner Visa allows spouses (married partners) of UK citizens or permanent UK residents to apply to enter or stay in the UK because they are married to a person who is considered to be present and 'settled in the UK'.
'Settled in the UK' means that you are ordinarily resident in the UK with no immigration restrictions on your length of stay. If your application for a UK Spouse Visa is successful you will be able to work in the UK as soon as your Spouse Visa has been granted.
- Either legally married or in a civil partnership that recognised in the UK
- Partner/spouse is either British citizen or present and settled in the UK
- Intend to live together permanently in the UK
- Can financially support without claiming any public funds from the British authorities
- There is an accommodation to live in the UK
- Applicant and partner/spouse (of British Citizen or person settled in the UK) not under 21 years old.
For non-EU partner of a European Citizen, the minimum age is 18.
For unmarried partner/same sex partners apart from the above it is also mandatory to meet the following requirements;
- any previous marriage, civil partnership or similar relationship, has permanently broken down
- they have been living together in a relationship similar to marriage or civil partnership for two years or more.
From the 29 November 2010 all partners, spouses, civil partners, fiancés, prospective civil partners must provide evidence to show that they can speak and understand English. As a Spouse Visa applicant you will need to meet the English language requirement if:
- you are a national of a country outside the European Economic Area and Switzerland; and
- you are in a relationship with a British citizen or a person settled here; and
- you want to apply to enter or remain in the UK as that person's husband, wife, civil partner, fiance(e), proposed civil partner, unmarried partner or same-sex partner.
If you are not a national of a majority English-speaking country or do not have a degree taught in English then you will be required to pass an acceptable English language test(A1- which shows a basic understanding of English) with an approved test provider.
Our official test center in London can help you to take the test to be granted with the visa.